The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Newbies on the block

Newbies on the block
Cammy Upson

Larned High School is constantly making improvements to both its school building and its staff. The new 2023-2024 school year has brought a wave of new teachers into the building, and they deserve to be recognized for all of the positive changes that they are bringing to the high school this year! The new staff members are Kirby Westerman, Bethany Steinlage, Nancy Baldwin,  Jean Simmons, Angela Reimer, and Danielle Fox. These new staff members’ positions range from new classroom teachers to staff secretaries. They are bringing positive changes into their classrooms and offices through classroom management and new ideas.

Students are looking forward to their weights classes this year, thanks to Kirby Westerman. Coach Westerman has already improved the Larned High School weights program. Westerman is fresh out of college and straight into our own Larned High School. Westerman stated that “I have always wanted to be a weights teacher and a football coach.” The perfect opportunity arose thanks to a phone call from Brady Keith, our head football coach and English teacher. On the topic of teaching, Mr. Westerman mentioned, “I wanted to have a positive impact on students’ lives. . . and I hope to bring a good work ethic to all sports. A good work ethic starts in the weight room.” Coach Westerman is looking forward to helping make Larned High school better not only in the classroom but also on the football field, and he is off to a great start achieving that goal here at Larned High School!

There’s no better way to understand culture and language, than being in a Spanish class. Thanks to Bethany Steinlage, we get to continue learning a different language along with learning Spanish culture. Mrs. Steinlage is a brand new teacher. She is also a Larned alumni, and she graduated from Larned in 2007. She then moved back in 2010. She told us, “I feel comfortable at home and I’m proud to be a Larned Indian.” when Mrs. Steinlage was asked “Why did you become a teacher?” She responded by saying “I have always been passionate about pouring into the youth. I think it’s important to invest in the young people of our generation.” Mrs. Steinlage also says “I hope that I can teach my students to have pride not only in themselves but also in what they do, and that they gain knowledge not only in a new language but also a life skill.” Although the Spanish classes are a little different now, the Students at Larned High School are very excited to continue their language learning and for the opportunity to learn a new language all together.

Another good way to learn a language is through an English class. Mrs Baldwin is one of the new English teachers here at the high school. She came from Great Bend High School. Mrs. Baldwin is very excited for this new year, and she is a Larned alumni. She said that she came back because, “It is great to work at a school that felt familiar, where I already knew the staff and most of the kids.” As of this year, Mrs. Baldwin is only teaching sophomores. In the past, when they had different English teachers, they weren’t all learning the same thing, and every student was at a different level, so it was hard for upper level English teachers to know where to start. Mrs Baldwin wants to bring positive changes to the English department. “I hope to bring some continuity to the English department to help students progress through the years,” Mrs. Baldwin told us. She is going to help Larned High Schools kids learn better and excel in English.

Mrs. Simmons is another new employee to Larned High school. Although she is not a teacher, she still has a very big role at the school. Simmons is the Registrar for the LHS. When asked what she enjoys about her job she says “My boss, Jackie Wasinger, and the kids.” Mrs.Simmons would also like to bring positive changes to the high school. She claimed that, ” I want them to feel welcome in the environment of her office. I want them to feel like the kids can talk to and open up to us and I want to be able to help people. Overall I just want to bring a supportive positive environment and help kids make better choices.” Mrs. Simmons is going to be a big help for the Larned High School, and she brings positivity into her office and the school each and every day.

Mrs. Reimer is the new vocal music teacher and special education teacher. She was a substitute for a long time before becoming a teacher. During the school years of 2015-2017, She taught band and music in Deerfield. When asked “Why did you choose to teach at Larned?” She replied with, “I wanted to get into education here, I saw that Larned was looking for a music teacher. Then I got presented with a Special Education position here and decided to do it.” Mrs. Reimer says “I hope to help improve the attitude of kids towards education and succeeding in life.” When talking about the music program she says “I’m going to do my best to help them understand vocal music and how to incorporate it in life.”  Mrs. Reimer is going to be a big help in making Larned better each and every day.

Last but not least we have Mrs. Fox. Mrs. Fox has never taught before. She told us, “I chose Larned because I love the kids here and after being a para, my kids, that go to school here, didn’t want me to leave.” Mrs. Fox is a positive person, and she is always trying to put a smile on someone’s face. When asked “What improvements do you hope to bring to the field you’re teaching in?” She simply responded by stating “I hope to get the kids more excited about learning, and I hope to help the kids, parents, and teachers to communicate better overall.” Mrs. Fox is striving for greatness and we’re sure she is going to succeed!

All of our new employees at Larned High School are going to be a great help to improving the school, and helping to shape the young minds within it. We are so happy and blessed to have these new staff members working here this year!