The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

How LHS should get involved with the life and career skills day

As students reach high school, they often start thinking more seriously about their future and career paths. Some have an easier time choosing a path because they have a hobby or skill that aligns with their desired career. But for others, it can be hard to narrow down a career choice. In Larned High School, students remember a day in middle school called “Life and Career Skills Day”. This consisted of a full school day, with students rotating through different stations to learn various hobbies or career skills. However, teachers and staff members taught these skills, which made it difficult for students to engage with the information. They didn’t want to feel like they were in another everyday class with their math or English teacher instructing them on how to change a tire. What if those instructors were not adults, but upperclassmen? What if juniors or seniors could go over to the middle school to teach and mentor the students on skills they’ve learned? This day would be called “Life Skills Day.” High school students could even learn these skills for the sole purpose of teaching them to younger students. This would be beneficial because it would not only teach the middle school students the skill but also the high school students.

In a Google Form that was sent to LHS students, 87% of the respondents said they were interested in this activity. Olivia Holt, a seventh-grader at Larned Middle School, stated this when asked if she would be interested in this activity “I think it is a good idea and I think that people would listen to the high schoolers more because they look up to them.” The students of LHS were also asked what they would want to teach the middle schoolers. Some of the answers gathered included changing a tire, braiding hair, interviewing tips, cooking and baking, and time management. These are just a few of the activities that would be taught, but there would be many more depending on what the students would want to teach. The goal of this “Life Skills Day” would be to teach high school students how to become role models and mentors and teach middle school students skills they would not have learned otherwise. This would hopefully help students in their future career choices, as they would already have the skills needed to do well in that area.