The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Teacher Spotlight: Kristen Pontius

You may know her as the high school art teacher or maybe just a friendly face saying hello to you as you make your way down the halls of Larned High School. However you know her, Mrs Pontius makes a big impact on LHS and influences students every day. 

Mrs. Pontius started working at Larned as a paraprofessional at Hillside for about a month and then worked at Rosewood for a few years until coming back to Larned to work as a high school art teacher.  Mrs. Pontius had received her master’s degree at Fort Hays State University in education. So, why had she decided to come back to work as a teacher at LHS? Mrs. Pontius answered this by saying “During my time of being a para it was easier because my kids were still young and it was nice to be able to get home when they were. To be able to pick them up and be there for them.” No matter what twists and turns she has had on her road to the here and now, we are glad she has come back to Larned to teach and is one of the best teachers that LHS has. 

As a sponsor of the art club and teacher of all the art classes, she is a very involved teacher and always welcomes students to come chat with her. During an interview, sophomore Leah Pinkston states “Mrs. P is easily one of my favorite teachers. She always has a good attitude and I enjoy being around her and in her classroom. She is always willing to help and be supportive of others including myself. I can not think of a time when she wasn’t a good role model for the younger generation. She’s truly wonderful.” Leah also mentioned that she feels like she can be herself in art class and that Mrs. P is a big part of this. 

As the only sponsor of the art club, Mrs. Pontius does an amazing job letting her students and leaders take the wheel and only step in when they need direction. “I told the kids in the art club that this is your club and that you have to come up with ideas and the requirements. What the rules are and where we go is all up to them.”  This is a sign to her officers that she trusts them, and trust can go a long way. When asked what impact Mrs. Pontius has made on her, art club president Clara Shaver stated, “She has made a huge positive impact on me in the school. She is not only the sponsor of the art club, but she also helps with the T-shirt business a lot and that has been increasing so much that it has brought everyone together.” 

All in all, Mrs. Pontius’ impact is felt across the entire student body and we are grateful to have her here.