The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

LHS seniors partake in the first annual water wars

This year is the very first year Larned High School has done Senior Assassin. This includes all seniors who want to participate. This is an activity they play outside of school but they all have a lot of fun with it. To be a part of this, the seniors download an app and every week a new round starts. The senior will get assigned another senior and they must find them out of school and “shoot” them with a water gun or get any kind of water on them. Once they get hit by water they are out for good and will not be able to get back in the game. With the new round every week on Monday at 3:30 each person still alive will be assigned a new target. 

The first round of water wars started April 22, 2024, and will go on until everyone gets out. There can only be one winner. There are safe zones that include, the school and school parking lot, practice fields and parking lots which both only last from the morning till 6:30, and your own home is safe at all times. Also, if someone wears goggles or floaties they are safe to go anywhere. That means nobody can get out of those areas. 

To make the game more interesting, there is a day in the week chosen by the person in charge called purge day. Purge day is when anyone can “kill” anyone. On this day, the safe zones still count but goggles and floaties will no longer save you. The last purge day lasted two hours and in that time four people were shot with water. 

Luke Fischer and Annie Cox run the senior assassin Instagram page and group chat. He picks the purge days and posts the videos of those who get out. If there was no video of the out then it doesn’t count and both people are still in. If there is arguing over whether or not it counted Luke will just take both people out. Luke is also participating in the water wars so he still must follow all the rules even if he is in charge. 

Luke said, “I came up with the idea from seeing other schools on TikTok do these water wars, so I thought it would be fun for our school to do it too.” Luke bought a trophy for the winner that says “2024 Senior Assassin Champion. The Other seniors involved think Cade Colglazier or Abby Holt will win. Arianna Hemken said, “This game has been a lot of fun and a little nerve racking to leave my house but that adds to the fun of it.” She also gave some strategies to stay in the game. “It is good to have friends that can help you plan your attacks and record. They can also help you by saying whether or not they are wearing their safe gear, you just have to make sure you can trust them.” This is a game to trust no one. One will never know when they are being targeted.