The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Rules and Officiating

All about the brand new class here at LHS

Rules and officiating is a brand new class offered at the LHS. The class is being taught by Mr. Leroy who has much experience with refereeing and officiating. The class involves learning all the rules of sports and becoming a referee. Rules and Officiating is if not the most, one of the most popular classes this year. This course is a great addition to the classes and Mr. Leroy hopes to continue teaching the class for as long as possible.

In Rules and officiating class, they learn the rules of Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, Baseball, and Softball. What makes this class unique is that the class is also an opportunity to make money. Students taking this class have the option to make money by refereeing Larned Rec Center games on the weekends. The students learn where to stand as well as how to look while refereeing. The class gives the students an opportunity to practice and actually be referees whether it is middle school football games or Larned Rec games.  This ensures that the students have real experience which helps the students decide if Refereeing is something they’re interested in for the future.

Mr. Leroy’s knowledge of rules and officiating made him the perfect candidate to teach the class. Mr. Leroy started as a referee in high school and worked his way up. He started refereeing because “it was better than fast food”. Since then he gained a love for refereeing and couldn’t stop. Mr. Leroy is the one who came up with the idea for the class. Other than his love for referring to Mr. Leroy’s reason for starting the class is because there is a shortage of referees in the world.  Mr. Leroy hoped this class would be enjoyed by the students “We need more people involved” says Leroy.

The students’ reffing in middle school games is a great way for the students to be involved with the incoming freshman. Their reffing at the middle school games is also a good way to get the incoming freshmen interested in the class. The class is also a good way to get the students involved in the community by working for the Rec Center. Many of the students talked to in the class are enjoying it and wish there was a class like this before. Some students talked to who are not in the class wish they were in it and hope to get into it next semester. This means that students really enjoy the class and look forward to it.

Overall The rules and officiating class has been a great addition to the courses and we hope to continue the class as long as we can. The students taking the rules and officiating class have learned and The class has given many opportunities to students including learning sports, getting involved, and even opportunities to make money. The student’s response and the anticipation for this class prove that making this class was the right decision. With an experienced teacher and endearing students, the rules and officiating class has flourished and the students can’t wait to keep learning.