The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Larned athletes compete at state wrestling

Many big accomplishments have been made at Larned High School, but most recently the wrestling team. In the 2024 wrestling season, Luke Fischer, JaiSean Phillips, Landon Haney, Cara Herbert, Lily McKenna, Reese Watkins, and Teagan Walker all qualified for state. Not only did they qualify, Luke Fischer made Larned history. He was the very first person to be a two time back to back state champion. Each and every one of these athletes worked hard all season to be at that tournament. 

Senior Luke Fischer broke two school records this season. One being that he qualified for state two years in a row, the other being that he went the whole season undefeated. Luke said, “It has truly been an honor to wrestle in Larned with this community and support. I hope that my success can inspire others to beat my records.” Senior Reese Watkins had been wrestling since her eighth grade year before wrestling became an official girls sport. This meant girls had to wrestle boys. Her sophomore year was when KSHSAA actually declared wrestling as a girls sport. Reese said, “Being a pioneer in something that is just beginning feels really great.” 

This year, the tournament lasted three long days where they had to weigh in each morning. This made it very difficult for the wrestlers because they had to watch what they ate everyday. Wrestling is a very tough sport for the mind and the body. It takes mental toughness and self control to be able to maintain the weight you are. These seven athletes were able to do it all season. 

Boy wrestling at Larned has been very successful for a long time. There is usually at least one person who qualifies at state. For boys they don’t focus so much on losing weight but more on gaining muscle. Yes, they do need to watch their eating habits but also it is important for them to keep their metabolism healthy. Which is actually helping you lose the weight anyway. The dedication Larned wrestling boys have is like no other. People like Luke Fischer spend all their season preparing for the upcoming tournaments.

In girls wrestling it is a little tougher to keep up healthy habits. Girls tend to care more about their weight which can be very mentally straining. They work very hard everyday at practice throughout the season. Many of the girls wrestling at Larned have been wrestling for a long time, before it became an actual sport. Many of them have had to wrestle boys whether that was in club when they were younger or even in middle school or early high school.