The Student News Site of Larned High School

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Tribe Times

Meet LHS’s new strength and conditioning coach

This past summer, Larned High School (LHS) added a new asset to the coaching and teaching staff. Mr. Kirby Westerman was hired for the 2023-2024 school year, and he has been a great help in these first few months of teaching. As the new weights coach, he has taught students how to use weight room equipment properly, good lifting techniques, and how to eat properly to gain muscle; all of these tactics help prevent kids from injuring themselves. The performance in the weight room has completely turned around for the good since he got here. Students enjoy lifting when they know how to do it properly. 

Because of his teaching, more and more students talk about joining the Winter Weights or powerlifting team. He makes the weight room a judgment free zone, which is a much more comfortable environment for the students of LHS. Those who are new to lifting feel comfortable talking to him and asking him for help, without feeling discouraged. During class and during weights practice, he makes sure to watch each and everyone in the room to correct their form and make sure they are lifting properly. 

In the short amount of time he has been here, he has already become very close with his players. This helps build trust on and off the field or in and out of the weight room. Senior Talon Reynolds is one of the many athletes Coach Westerman made an impact on. Talon said, “He came here knowing how and what to do to keep us in shape and gave us good workout routines. As a football coach, he watches more film than anyone and fires us up with his enthusiasm.”

On the topic of being a new weights coach, Westerman told us, “I want to create a new mindset and culture for the students.” His goal is to help these students and athletes want to be successful not only in their sports but also in school; he wants to make them want it for themselves. In the weight room, he would like to build stronger and healthier athletes through strength and weight training, while also preaching good sleeping and eating habits, and he wants to be sure the athletes take these skills with them into their adult lives. As a football, track, and powerlifting coach, he wants to be a part of leading his students to victories across all the playing fields.

It all began when Kirby Westerman started out his college career. He originally wanted to be a kinesiologist. He went to both K-State and KU. Then, he realized that he would rather be a strength coach and teach students how to become stronger. Head Football Coach Brady Keith contacted Mr. Westerman about an opening for an assistant football coach, and weights trainer. Eventually, Mr. Westerman took the interview and got the job as football assistant coach and weights teacher. He now lives in Larned with his girlfriend and three dogs, and LHS is grateful to have such an amazing coach for our weights program.